Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cranberry Orange Mini Muffins

It's muffin time. Cranberry Orange (and lemon) muffin time, to be more exact. I had some extra cranberries left over from making my Cranberry Lime Champagne Fizz cocktails from our holiday party, and decided to put them to good use. I saw these yummy looking cranberry orange muffins on Pinterest and decided I had to make them for our work meeting this week. They turned out perfect-you've gotta make these!

The recipe I used was adapted from one at Lick the Bowl Good- so if you want to go back to the original (that has nuts, and no lemon)- check it out there!

I used:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp shortening
3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (about 2 large oranges)
1 Tbsp orange zest 
1 tsp lemon zest
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1/4 cup raw sugar (or demera sugar)

 Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
 Step 2: Use either shortening or non-stick spray to coat your muffin tins
 Step 3: Mix together your flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
 Step 4: Zest your oranges and lemon
 Step 5: Juice your oranges and add the juice to a bowl with the zest and the egg. Mix in to flour mixture until well combined.
Step 6: Chop your cranberries into small chunks and gently mix in to the batter.


Yes, it'll look like wayyy too many cranberries. it's not, I promise!
 Step 7:  Use a melon baller to dump even amounts of batter in your greased tins- about 2/3 full. Take your raw or demera sugar and sprinkle over the batter- in an even and full coating.
 Step 8: Bake for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown.


 Step 9: Let cool completely in the tins, then pop them out and enjoy!

The sugar on top gives the muffins a nice little crunch and bit of sweetness to balance out the tart cranberries- totally delicious. They were a huge hit at the meeting as well as with Michael- they lasted about 2 hours! I highly recommend these muffins, they are deee-licious.

P.S. Demera sugar can be expensive to buy- I actually used packets of Sugar in the Raw! Whenever I get coffee to go I always grab a packet or two of the sugar then never end up mixing them in- so that part of the recipe was completely free!!


1 comment:

  1. ooh! Pinning these. I should NOT look at recipes like this before breakfast when I have no intention (or time) to cook. Makes me crabby! And hungry! But maybe tomorrow we'll try them.

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...