Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Spicy Chocolate Pretzels

You all know I like pretzels, right? Especially now that I can pronounce them (as I kid, I called them "prezzles").
Remember my Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels? Delicious.

Well, I found some unopened cayenne in the spice drawer this weekend and decided to try making some spicy chocolate pretzels. Just like the last pretzel snack I made, these are of course ridiculously simple. I mean, it's pretzels and chocolate. Not rocket science, but still: delicious. 


WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
-1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (crisco)
- pretzels
- parchment paper

HOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN:
Step 1: Melt chocolate chips and shortening together in a bowl. (Either using a double boiler or slowly microwaving 10 seconds at a time)
Step 2: Once fully melted, stir in cayenne
Step 3: Dip your pretzels, making sure they're fully covered.
Step 4: Lay on parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 1 hour before enjoying!


 I put them out without telling Michael (who hates spicy things) they had cayenne in them. Needless to say, he was NOT pleased with how they came out. I thought they were the perfect balance of spicy and sweet.

Next time I guess I'll have to make something a little more Michael friendly.
I'm thinking of making some kind of pretzel toffee...
...anyone have any good recipes for that? 

xo, lp
Side Note: Do y'all watch the show Shark Tank? If you don't- you should. Basically people pitch their business ideas to billionaires (like Daymond John and Kevin O'Leary) and either get an investment or not. It's way more interesting than I make it sound, I promise! ANYWAY some lady went in looking for an investment to start a specialty pretzel company. REALLY? Just because you can put caramel and nuts on pretzels doesn't mean you deserve a $100,000 investment.  Boo lady, BOO.

21 comments:

  1. I loooove pretzels. and this is something I {might} actually be able to handle. nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound so yummy! I LOVE chocolate covered pretzels and I love spicy so I am sure I will love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make pretzel toffee all the time and keep a jar of it in the fridge. This is my favorite recipe:

    Mini pretzels
    1 cup unsalted butter
    1 cup light brown sugar
    12 oz bag chocolate chips
    Sea salt

    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 11″ x 17″ jelly roll pan with aluminum foil (this works better than parchment I've found)

    Cover the pan in a layer of pretzels.

    Combing butter & brown sugar in saucepan over medium. Let it begin to simmer until its darken in color. About 5 minutes-ish.

    Pour the butter and sugar mixture over the pretzels. Bake for 5 minutes.

    While the pan is baking, melt the chocolate.

    Pull pan out of oven and pour chocolate over pan, spread evenly with spatula. Sprinkle with sea salt.

    I freeze mine right away so it hardens faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh that recipe sounds AMAZING! I am 100% going to try it- thank you so much for sharing!!!

      Delete
  4. Laura - I am obsessed with Shark Tank! We watch it almost every week (because we are 75 and don't go out anymore)I love when Mark Cuban is on, he is my fave. His reactions are hilarious. Oh and these pretzel pics are super pretty. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH! glad i'm not the only one who loves shark tank. my boyfriend i and love kevin o'leary because he's so dang mean. It's a little hilarious! (and thanks for the photo comments!)

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh. The chocolate plus the spicy is the BEST combo. Love spicy hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummmm....I never even would have thought about putting cayenne pepper and chocolate together. I am taking your word for it and gonna give this a try!
    xo,
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE chocolate covered pretzels! The mixture of sweet and salty is just heavenly. :) Great post!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! I love chocolate covered pretzels, and cayenne pepper sounds like a great twist! I just found you from 17th and Irving, I love finding other VA bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omgosh, i want to make these so bad! i did a cayenne cinnamon almond before and they were super tasty. i like the little bit of spice.

    and SERIOUSLY we are twinsies. shark tank is my new obsession. i've been watching it nonstop on my roku. it's so inspiring! although i feel like i'd have a hard time turning anyone away empty handed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look so tasty! i did a cayenne cinnamon almond one time that was good. i like the little bit of spice.

    and SERIOUSLY we are twins, Shark Tank is my new obsession! I just saw the first episode this weekend and I can't stop watching-- it's super inspiring. although i dont know if I could turn anyone away empty handed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those look delicious. now i'm craving chocolate and pretzels

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg, these sound and look like a party. Not sure if I could get the hubby to jump on board, but I totally have to try these. Fabulous post, love. When you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest outfit post for LaurenConrad.com. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, we LOVE the show Shark Tank! You're not alone, haha! These look super delicious, my mom would totally love them! :)


    ♡j
    sorelle in style

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG I have literally been CRAVING chocolate-covered pretzels for the past week... as soon as I leave school, I'm buying pretzels and making these xD YUM.

    Zia
    singing-blue.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...